Spudnuts (Potato Doughnuts). Spudnuts (Potato Doughnuts): I grew up in Idaho, and one thing you can get in Idaho, is Spudnuts. Spudnuts are much better than doughnuts. Making fried doughnuts is not as hard as you might think!
And, well, here I am making and sharing my own version with you. The first American doughnut chain used spuds. The perfect doughnut is fluffy, soft, tender, and moist. You can have Spudnuts (Potato Doughnuts) using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Spudnuts (Potato Doughnuts)
- Prepare 1 pound of potatoes, peeled and quartered.
- It’s 1 package (11 g) of instant yeast.
- You need 1 1/2 cups of warm milk (110 F).
- You need 1/2 cup of canola oil (or whatever oil you have).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of sugar.
- It’s 2 of eggs.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 8 cups of all purpose flour.
- Prepare of Oil for deep frying.
- It’s 3 cups of Icing sugar for dusting.
Residents of Texas recall the Named for its potato-based mix of ingredients, Spudnuts were designed to be the perfect doughnut. We especially liked her light, fluffy potato doughnuts. We encouraged Mother to let us help make them often. Idaho Spudnuts Recipe photo by Taste of Home.
Spudnuts (Potato Doughnuts) step by step
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid; cool to 110°-115°. Discard remaining cooking liquid. Mash the potatoes while still hot..
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in reserved cooking liquid. Add the mashed potatoes, milk, oil, sugar, eggs and salt. Add enough flour to form a soft dough. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top..
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; let rise again until doubled, about 20 minutes. Roll out on a floured surface to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. doughnut cutter..
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry doughnuts, a few at a time, until golden brown..
- Dust the doughnuts with icing sugar. Best served warm..
Beat potatoes, eggs, sugar, melted butter together; add nutmeg and milk and stir. Add sifted ingredients and stir until just blended; chill. Spudnuts are tasty doughnuts made with grated potato and flour, and best served with a dusting of cinnamon sugar. Spudnuts (potato donuts) are a cross between yeast donuts and cake donuts – fluffy, a little chewy, and sweet. Learn the basic recipe + some fun variations!