Low Fat Cheesy Mexican Squash (Calabacitas con Queso).
You can have Low Fat Cheesy Mexican Squash (Calabacitas con Queso) using 10 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Low Fat Cheesy Mexican Squash (Calabacitas con Queso)
- Prepare 3 of Mexican Squash.
- You need 1 can of whole kernel corn.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of peeled baby carrots.
- You need 1/2 of onion.
- Prepare 2 cup of 2% mexican blend shredded cheese.
- It’s 1/2 cup of fat free cream cheese.
- Prepare 1 dash of salt.
- Prepare 1 dash of pepper.
- You need 1 tbsp of italian seasoning.
- Prepare 1 tsp of butter/ margarin/ butter substitute.
Low Fat Cheesy Mexican Squash (Calabacitas con Queso) instructions
- Preheat medium sized NON STICK skillet to medium heat..
- Chop Mexican squash in thin disks (like cutting a loaf of bread), or whatever bite-sized shape you preffer..
- Cut baby carrots in halfs or quarters..
- Mince onion..
- By this time your skillet must be hot. Place butter and all chopped ingredients, stirring untill they are well mixed..
- After stirring for about a minute (to ensure the butter lightly glazes all vegetables) you can cover your skillet to speed up the cooking time of vegetables..
- After about 5 minutes, drain corn and add to the skillet. Stir and cover for an additional 5 to 10 minutes..
- Make sure your vegetables are soft but not overcooked because they will loose essential vitamins and nutrients. You may add the rest of the engredients, starting with the cream cheese to make sure it melts faster..
- stir, cover, and continue to cook until cheese is completely melted and bubbling..
- Tip: Serve with white rice and tortilla chips..