Vickys Easter Apple Cinnamon Hot Cross Buns, GF DF EF SF NF.
You can have Vickys Easter Apple Cinnamon Hot Cross Buns, GF DF EF SF NF using 19 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Vickys Easter Apple Cinnamon Hot Cross Buns, GF DF EF SF NF
- Prepare 250 ml of coconut milk, lukewarm.
- It’s 7 grams of fast action yeast.
- It’s 2 tbsp of sugar.
- It’s 500 grams of gluten-free flour / strong white bread flour.
- You need 1 of & 1/2 tsp xanthan gum if using gluten-free flour.
- Prepare 1 pinch of salt.
- Prepare 2 tsp of mixed spice.
- You need 2 tsp of cinnamon.
- It’s 1 of large cooking apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped.
- It’s 100 grams of sultanas.
- You need 50 g of mixed peel.
- Prepare 85 ml of – 100ml apple juice / orange juice.
- You need 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare of Crosses.
- You need 3 tbsp of gluten-free / plain flour.
- You need 2 tbsp of water.
- You need of Glaze.
- You need 2 tbsp of apple juice / orange juice.
- You need 2 tbsp of caster sugar.
Vickys Easter Apple Cinnamon Hot Cross Buns, GF DF EF SF NF instructions
- Mix the yeast and sugar into the milk and set aside.
- Mix the flour, xanthan gum if using, salt and baking spices together in a large bowl. Stir the sultanas, mixed peel and chopped apple pieces in.
- Make a well in the centre and stir in the apple / orange juice, oil and yeast mixture.
- Form a sticky but soft dough using your hands. Depending on the flour used you may need to add a little more milk as gluten-free flours need more liquid, 2 -3 tbsp should be plenty.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 – 10 minutes until the dough is smooth. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for an hour or until it has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and knead again for 10 minutes then divide into 12 equal pieces.
- Roll the pieces into smooth balls and evenly space out on a large baking tray lined with parchment paper. Recover with the damp tea towel and again, leave in a warm place for 45 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to gas 6 / 200C / 400F.
- To make the crosses, mix the flour and water to a paste the consistency of butter icing. Place the paste in an icing bag or plastic bag and snip the end off, then pipe crosses on the hot cross buns. It's easier to go along the whole row than do individual crosses.
- Bake for 20 – 22 mins until the buns are golden and firm.
- To make the glaze, dissolve the caster sugar in the juice, boil for a minute in the microwave or a small saucepan until thickening, then brush over the hot buns as soon as they come out of the oven. Let the glaze set before you enjoy the buns with safe butter, jam, marmalade, nutella or naked, whatever you fancy!.
- Will keep for up to 3 days, best enjoyed halved and toasted.