Sim’s Siew Yuk.
You can have Sim’s Siew Yuk using 4 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sim’s Siew Yuk
- It’s of Pork belly 1/2/3kg.
- It’s of Rock/ coarse salt to cover the top layer.
- It’s of Salt to marinate.
- Prepare of Vinegar.
Sim’s Siew Yuk instructions
- Marinate pork belly with salt (not on the pork belly skin)..
- Brush a layer of vinegar on the pork belly skin and let it rest in the fridge for 1-2 days to remove water and dry the pork belly skin else it won’t crackle. (Poking of the skin is a not necessary unless coarse salt is not used).
- Wrap pork belly with aluminium foil around..
- Layer coarse salt on top of the pork belly skin. Use enough aluminium foil to wrap around the pork belly..
- At 200 c, bake the pork belly with coarse salt for around 45mins at Conventional Heating setting..
- Remove coarse salt to keep for next round. Avoid keeping salt which has mixed with the oil, then remove the foil. (Don't throw away the pork oil collected in the tray as this is epic for making other dishes ie cooking the bamboo noodles.).
- Broil (grill with fan or turbo grill) pork belly for another 15 mins (without foil). Observe the skin and rotate the SY if there are uneven areas spotted. The success of this final steps lies in the sound of the crackling of the SY. Savour your victory with the sound of pik pok pik pok. If not it’s means the skin was not dry enough..
- Observe closely, take photos + videos for memory and sharing later as the pik pok pik pok sound will excite you and others seeing it will envious your victory..
- Cut the SY with skin facing down..
- The result are perfectly sliced chunks..
- This is the best moment to taste the SY and let it melt in your mouth..
- Combine the SY with your favourite dishes and enjoy the meal!.