Lemon blueberry scones 🍋. This Lemon Blueberry Scones recipe is a delightful addition to any breakfast or brunch! Fresh blueberries and loads of lemon zest add an irresistible freshness to these easy to make scones. These Lemon Blueberry Scones Are: Sweet with crumbly edges.
You need flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and fresh lemon zest. Made with yogurt to keep them light and fluffy. For this early summer version, I just folded fresh blueberries right into the dough, then topped the scones with a puckery-sweet lemon glaze. You can cook Lemon blueberry scones 🍋 using 13 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Lemon blueberry scones 🍋
- You need 2 c. of All-purpose flour.
- You need 6 T. of Granulated sugar.
- You need 1 T. of Fresh lemon zest (about one lemon).
- Prepare 2 of & 1/2 t. Baking powder.
- You need 1/2 t. of Salt.
- You need 1/2 c. of Unsalted butter, frozen.
- You need 1/2 c. of Heavy cream (add, 2T. for brushing) see last step for sub.
- You need 1 of large egg.
- You need 1 of & 1/2 t. Vanilla.
- You need 1 of heaping cup blueberries (if frozen, don't thaw).
- Prepare of Lemon Icing.
- Prepare 1 c. of Powdered sugar.
- You need 3 T. of Lemon juice.
These Lemon Blueberry Scones are light and fluffy, sweet and tangy, but most of all, simply delicious. So easy to make, perfect for breakfast and a great Mother's Day treat. These lemon blueberry scones are so light and tender, and so easy to make! As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lemon blueberry scones 🍋 step by step
- Whisk flour, sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Grate the frozen butter using a box grater. Add it to the flour mixture and combine with a pastry cutter, two forks, or your fingers until the mixture comes together in pea-sized crumbs. See video above for a closer look at the texture. Place in the refrigerator or freezer as you mix the wet ingredients together..
- Whisk 1/2 cup heavy cream, the egg, and vanilla extract together in a small bowl. Drizzle over the flour mixture, add the blueberries, then mix together until everything appears moistened..
- Pour onto the counter and, with floured hands, work dough into a ball as best you can. Dough will be sticky. If it’s too sticky, add a little more flour. If it seems too dry, add 1-2 more Tablespoons heavy cream. Press into an 8-inch disc and, with a sharp knife or bench scraper, cut into 8 wedges..
- Brush scones with remaining heavy cream and for extra crunch, sprinkle with coarse sugar. (You can do this before or after refrigerating in the next step.).
- Place scones on a plate or lined baking sheet (if your fridge has space!) and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.—you can skip this, but it helps scones to hold form..
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. After refrigerating, arrange scones 2-3 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet(s)..
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven and cool for a few minutes before topping with lemon icing..
- Make the icing: Whisk the icing ingredients together. Drizzle over warm scones..
- Leftover iced or un-iced scones keep well at room temperature for 2 days or in the refrigerator for 5 days..
- Instead of 1/2c heavy cream, you can use 1/4c Greek yogurt, 2T water, and 2T melted butter OR 1/4c yogurt and 1/4c milk.
Celebrate summer with lemon blueberry scones! Easy to make, moist, and just bursting with sweet, seasonal fruit. You'll love this quick scone recipe. Anyone who knows me knows how much I love scones! To me, they are the best way to start the day.