3 cups chicken. A true and authentic Taiwanese three cup chicken calls for basil leaves, the soul of the dish that lends an exotic aroma. Some fry the chicken before braising it, use more oil, less wine, different blends of soy sauce. Three Cup Chicken–regardless of whether or not you've heard of it, you'll definitely like it.
Three cups chicken is originated from the province of Jiangxi in China. Legend has it that it was created by Wen Tianxiang who was a scholar-general in the last years of the Southern Song Dynasty. Tender chicken is braised with garlic and ginger in a sweet and savory sauce. You can have 3 cups chicken using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of 3 cups chicken
- You need 300 grams of chicken.
- You need 15 grams of ginger.
- It’s 15 grams of scallion.
- You need 20 gram of basil.
- You need 1 of chilli.
- Prepare 3 pieces of garlic.
- Prepare 2 tablespoon of soy sauce.
- You need 2 tablespoon of cooking wine.
- You need 2 tablespoon of sesame oil.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- It’s 100 ml of Water.
By cooking the garlic and ginger in the oil first, then adding the chicken and cooking liquid, the entire dish can be made. For my Three Cup Chicken, I like adding a little extra rice wine for the flavor and sweetness it imparts. The additional liquid allows you to cook the chicken for a bit longer, making it more tender. Stir together the soy sauce, rice wine and sugar in a bowl, pour over chicken.
3 cups chicken instructions
- Chop the chili, ginger, garlic and scallion as the picture below. Remove the seed of the chili if you prefer to cut down the spiciness..
- Put the sesame oil and ginger into the pan before turn on the fire..
- Add garlic when you can smell the ginger.
- Add chicken and leave the side with skin facing down. Do not move it until it turns golden brown.Add chili and scallion once the chicken is golden brown on both sides..
- Add sugar in the middle of the pan. Let it melted and caramelized. Stir fly evenly so the chicken is coated with sugar..
- Add soy sauce. cooking wine and water. Let it boil for 10 mins until the sauce is concentrated.
- Turn off the fire before putting basil in. Stir fly a bit before serving. Voilà ❤️.
Delicious Taiwanese-style chicken dish with its famous savory sweet three-cup sauce can be easily made with Instant Pot or on the stove. If you love Three Cup Chicken, you have to try this recipe! It's just as good (if not better than the restaurants) yet easy to make at home using organic. Originally, "three cup" refers to the equal usage of. Taiwanese three-cup chicken with sweet basil, rice wine, soy sauce and sesame oil is a must try braised chicken dish.