Simply Southern Smothered Cube Steak. Dredge cube steaks in flour mixture and set aside. Heat up enough oil to cover the bottom of your trying pan over medium high heat. Add cube steaks and brown both sides.
Mushrooms are an excellent addition to this dish. Place flour in a flat surfaced dish (save unused flour for smothering). Sprinkle front and back side of each steak piece and rub deep into groves of steak. You can cook Simply Southern Smothered Cube Steak using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Simply Southern Smothered Cube Steak
- You need 1 Pound of Tenderized Cube Steak.
- It’s 1 Cup of Ap Flour + 3 Tablespoons Reserved.
- Prepare of Garlic Salt.
- Prepare 1 Tablespoon of Seasoning Salt.
- It’s 1 Teaspoon of Cracked Black Pepper.
- It’s 3 Tablespoons of Vegetable Oil + Extra Oil for Frying.
- You need 1 of Large Onion Sliced.
- It’s 2 Cloves of Garlic Minced.
- You need 2 of Beef Bouillon Cubes.
- Prepare 2 Cups of Water.
Heat oil to medium high in skillet (cast iron is best). Dredge each piece in flour, press in with finger tips. Lightly season both sides of steak with garlic salt and pepper. Dredge cube steaks in flour mixture and set aside.
Simply Southern Smothered Cube Steak step by step
- Mix together ap flour, seasoning salt, and pepper. Lightly season both sides of steak with garlic salt and pepper. Dredge cube steaks in flour mixture and set aside. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the ap flour mixture..
- Heat up enough oil to cover the bottom of your trying pan over medium high heat. Add cube steaks and brown both sides. Approximately 5 minutes both sides..
- Remove steaks, and add onion slices to lightly caramelize, approximately 7-10 minutes. Add Minced Garlic during the last minute. Remove onion slices from pan and set aside. This step is completely optional..
- Add your 3 tablespoons of flour and oil to the hot pan. Stirring constantly until well mixed and slightly brown. Next add your water, bouillon cubes, steaks, and onions to the pan. Bring to a low simmer. Taste to adjust salt and pepper if necessary. Cover and let simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until steaks are very tender. Note: I like to mix the bouillon cubes and water together beforehand. You can easily substitute beef stock as well..
- Serve with mashed potatoes makes an excellent comforting meal. Enjoy.
Simply Southern Smothered Cube Steak This is just a pure comforting meal. Steaks are so tender and basically makes its own gravy!! Mushrooms are an excellent addition to this dish. Smothered steak is a deeply traditional southern favorite. Basically, it's any cut of steak served in a gravy or served with gravy poured over it.