Whole Pumpkin Gratin. Searching online for any "recipe in pumpkin shell" yielded a few recipes similar to this delicious-looking whole pumpkin apple casserole. But I wanted something savory and cheesy like a gratin or strata. I did find this amazing-looking Pumpkin and Cabot Habanero Cheddar Soufflés recipe to add to my To-Try file.
Place the whole pumpkin on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Place the whole pumpkin on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Here's a recipe of "A whole pumpkin gratin" which is very easy to cook and surprisingly delicious. You can cook Whole Pumpkin Gratin using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Whole Pumpkin Gratin
- It’s 1 of pumpkin (kabocha).
- You need 1 of onion (slice thinly).
- It’s 1/2-1 pack of shimeji mushrooms (tear into bite sized pieces).
- You need 100 g of bacon, or as much as you like (cut into bite sized pieces).
- Prepare 10-20 g of butter.
- It’s 2 Tbsp of flour.
- It’s 1/2-1 of bouillon cube (optional).
- You need 500-600 ml of milk.
- It’s of Cheese (as much as you want).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of panko bread crumbs.
- Prepare of salt and pepper.
The recipe is very good for Halloween dish. Please try to cook it at your home. The real reason why I prepared this pumpkin, zucchini and potato gratin was to clean some leftovers from my fridge. I had a piece of raw pumpkin, one lonely zucchini and a small carton of heavy cream – all in the last days of their life.
Whole Pumpkin Gratin instructions
- Wash the pumpkin and cover with plastic wrap and cook in the microwave until softened. ＊Be careful not to heat it up too much. (reference: 8~10 mins in 700W).
- Cut about 1/4 of the upper part of the pumpkin. Scoop out the seeds and scrape pumpkin meat from shell. (leave at least 1 cm of the shell).
- Heat the butter in a pan over medium heat, stir fry onion, shimeji mushrooms, bacon until the onions are browned. Turn down the heat and add the flour and mix well. Pour the milk little by little to get the smooth sauce. Add the pumpkin meat, salt and pepper and cook until thickened.(adjust the thickness to your taste).
- Pour the mixture into the pumpkin, sprinkle cheese and panko bread crumbs on top and bake in 200℃ oven for 20~25 mins or until heated thoroughly. (Cheese starts to brown and panko bread crumbs are golden).
At the same time I was also craving potatoes. Spoon the pumpkin puree into a food processor and add the eggs, cream, cheese, salt, and pepper. Break up tomatoes with hands, allowing juices to drain. Stir tomatoes, mushrooms, sausage, and parsley into stew. Place pumpkin top next to pumpkin on the pan.