Shepherd's Pie. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Shepherd's Pie recipes are traditionally done with lamb, but are great with any ground meat–turkey and beef being the most popular modern versions.
This is a recipe for Cottage Pie. Thank you, Dale Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with a ground-lamb filling, but we make ours with ground beef. The sauce is really simple and flavorful, but the best part is the insanely fluffy mashed potato. You can cook Shepherd's Pie using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie
- It’s 1 pound of ground beef.
- You need 2 cups of mashed potatoes.
- Prepare 4 oz of cream cheese.
- You need 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Prepare 2 cloves of minced garlic.
- You need 4 cups of frozen vegetables.
- You need 1 cup of beef gravy.
In England (and Australia and New Zealand) they would call the beef dish a "cottage pie" and the lamb dish "shepherd's pie". Regardless of what you call it, a shepherd's pie is basically a casserole with a layer of cooked meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes, and baked in the oven until the mashed potatoes are well browned. Traditionally, shepherd's pie is made with lamb (hence the name). However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland (where using beef would make this a cottage pie), beef became a common substitute, especially in America where it's more widely available than ground lamb.
Shepherd's Pie instructions
- Brown meat in large skillet.
- Meanwhile, mix potatoes, cream cheese, 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese, and the garlic until well-blended..
- Drain meat, return to skillet; stir in vegetables and gravy..
- Spoon into 9-inch baking dish. Spread with mashed potatoes and top with remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese..
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through..
This easy shepherd's pie is a layered casserole of ground beef and veggies in a homemade gravy. It's topped with Cheddar cheese mashed potatoes. Here's the fool-proof formula for making shepherd's pie from scratch — you just need to pick the mix-ins! So, this is how you spell it: Shepherd's Pie. But, from doing a quick google search, it came to my attention that TONS of people think it's Shepards Pie.