Cottage Pie. Cottage pie or shepherd's pie is a type of savory pie. It is made with minced meat, with mashed potato on top. It comes from the United Kingdom and Ireland.
Classic, epic Cottage Pie made properly, with a luscious filling. Cottage Pie – comfort food central! This English classic has a deeply savoury beef mince filling smothered in gravy topped with creamy. You can have Cottage Pie using 14 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Cottage Pie
- It’s 3 tbsp. of olive oil, divided.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of butter.
- You need 1 lb. of ground beef.
- Prepare 1/2 of yellow onion, diced.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic, minced.
- It’s 1 tbsp. of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 tbsp. of Worcestershire sauce.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of each salt, pepper, dried rosemary.
- It’s 1/4 tsp. of dried thyme.
- You need 3 tbsp. of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of unsalted beef broth.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of frozen peas and carrot mixture.
- Prepare 3 cups of already prepared mashed poatoes.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of sharp cheddar cheese.
Proper English Cottage Pie is a delicious, very traditional mince pie (beef) topped with mashed potato. Being from Australia, cottage pie is a favourite when it comes to comfort food for the family. Cottage pie is actually older than shepherd's pie. Potatoes were affordable ingredients that were.
Cottage Pie instructions
- In a large, deep skillet, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat. Once its hot, add the beef and cook until it is browned throughout. Drain out any fat, if needed, then set it aside on a plate and cover with foil..
- Add the remaining oil and butter to the skillet. Once the butter melts, add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent. Then stir in the garlic and tomato paste. Cook and stir another minute or so, then add the beef back to the skillet with the seasonings. Increase the heat to med-high..
- Sprinkle the flour over the beef and stir to integrate. Cook and stir often for a couple of minutes, then stir in the broth and Worcestershire sauce. Let the mixture come up to a simmer and let it simmer until it has thickened (5-10 minutes. The gravy should coat the back of a spoon). Then remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the frozen veggies..
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a 8×8" baking pan, then pour the beef mixture into it and spread it out evenly. Stir the cheese into the mashed potatoes (if using leftovers like I do, warm the potatoes up slightly first). Then scoop the mashed potatoes evenly over the top and use a fork to spread them out, being careful not to mix it into the beef mixture. Bake for 25 or so minutes, until golden on top and heated throughout. Then let it sit for 10 or so minutes before serving..
Warming to the tips of your toes, a comforting dish of cottage pie is one of the best things about Make it special with Mary Berry's dauphinoise topped cottage pie, or keep it simple with James. This collection of cottage pie recipes features plenty of takes of this classic comfort food. Shepherd's pie has another name, cottage pie, and mashed potatoes have another alternative – sweet potatoes. In this cooking video The Wolfe Pit uses Gordon Ramsay's recipe to show you how to make Cottage Pie. This classic cottage pie recipe is easy to make and would make the perfect family meal packed with minced beef, sweet tomatoes and topped with creamy mash.