Lemon Meringue Pie with Gluten Free Coconut Crust.
You can have Lemon Meringue Pie with Gluten Free Coconut Crust using 19 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Lemon Meringue Pie with Gluten Free Coconut Crust
- Prepare of Coconut Crust.
- It’s 2 cup of flaked coconut (unsweetened).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of sugar.
- You need 1 tsp of lemon zest.
- You need 4 tbsp of melted butter.
- You need of Lemon Filling.
- Prepare 1 cup of white sugar.
- Prepare 4 tbsp of cornstarch.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1 1/2 cup of water.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of lemon juice.
- You need 2 tbsp of butter.
- You need 4 of egg yolks.
- You need 1 of zest from 3 lemons.
- It’s of Citrus Meringue.
- Prepare 4 of egg whites (room temp, no shells or grease– VERY IMPORTANT!).
- You need 3/4 cup of sugar.
- It’s 1 tsp of lemon zest.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar (if you live in humid territories).
Lemon Meringue Pie with Gluten Free Coconut Crust instructions
- For the coconut crust: Preheat oven to 325° fahrenheit..
- Combine sugar, zest, and coconut. Add melted butter and mix until coconut mixture is coated..
- Press into 9" pie pan.(Tip: use a flat-bottomed measuring cup to help press mixture into pan.) Use your fingers to form a lip with the crust. Bake at 325 for 10-15 minutes or until coconut is golden..
- For lemon lime filling: In medium saucepan, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt, Stir in water, lemon juice and lemon zest..
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in butter..
- In a small bowl whisk egg yolks till smooth. Gradually whisk in 1 cup of hot sugar mixture from the pot..
- Gradually whisk egg yolk mixture back into pot. Bring to a boil and cook while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat. Pour filling into baked coconut crust..
- For citrus meringue: Preheat oven to 350°F..
- Place egg whites in a medium sized clean bowl. (any specks of egg yolk or bits of grease can keep whites from beating properly).
- Beat at a low speed until whites begin to foam. Increase speed and beat on med-high until soft peaks begin to form. Throw in cream of tartar here if you want to be sure that your peaks will hold..
- Add sugar a spoonful at a time while mixing. Continue beating until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form. Add lemon zest and combine..
- Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust. Bake 10 minutes or until meringue is golden brown..